Monday, February 21, 2005

my theory

A couple years ago, Big Jim and I were invited to a dinner party. As the host introduced us to one of the Spanish couples there, the women responded, "Oh yes, you live at Calle Salares 4." She is the part-time substitute post office worker, mainly covering for her sister and brother-in-law when they take a vacation. Since then, I have theorized that if someone addressed a letter to me with just "La Americana" and the village's name, I would receive it. About a month ago, one of my friends in the US decided to test the theory. I am proud to say Gabriela didn't let me down. Friday I received a notice that a package arrived (my audio book gift from the same friend who sent the experimental letter), so this morning I got up early to go to the post office. Not only was the box from amazon waiting for me, but so was the letter addressed to the "mujer americana". I wasn't quite sure how Gabriela would react because she has her moments of severity (and who could blame her really; she spends most mornings helping English settlers from the campo villas struggle to remember the Spanish for their three-digit box numbers), but she and her husband Emilio howled with laughter, as did everyone waiting in line. I confess even before I went to the post this morning I was confident the americana letter would be there. My notice from Gabriela to pick up the package was just addressed to the Spanish equivalent of my Anglo name, with no surname. This is my village. The mail may only be delivered once every week or two, but it will always arrive eventually and to the right person. :-) Thanks B., aka Americana II, for the good fun and proving my theory. I am sure everyone in the village will know about it by lunchtime. :-) hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home