Friday, February 04, 2005

tgif

I received a strange phone call yesterday morning. Not sure whether it was a scam or just a case of mistaken identity. Some man called up from a town about 50 miles away. He was trying to tell me that our car had been involved in some sort of theft the day before in this town. He had the first four numbers of our license plate but not the complete number. From what I could gather, he claimed to be the store owner from which the alleged tobacco had been stolen. I asked who had given him our phone number; he said "some blond guy." I told him he had the wrong car because no one had driven our car for the past two weeks. He said he was calling the police. When C. arrived to walk the dogs, I asked him to check to make sure the car was still where I left it parked because I had gotten to think perhaps the Peugeot had been stolen (not necessarily a bad thing). C. reported back the car was exactly where I had left it and did not seem to have been driven recently. So who was this guy who called me? I checked the phone book and compared the number left on the caller ID. The number was indeed from the town from which he said he was calling, but our car hasn't been near that town since Big Jim and I were in Gibraltar....I have heard no more from this mysterious fellow or from the police, so I am writing this off as either an attempted scam or just a case of mistaken identity. I told Mr. James about the call when we Skyped last evening. He got all worried and reminded me not to let any strangers in the house; I told him I was no fool and that if someone did turn up, no matter how official looking, I would first call C. (who used to be a London bobby, by the way) and have him deal with it. My eye is definitely improving, although I still can't see very much. When I look straightahead, I can see the edge of the gas bubble about one-third from the top of my field of view. Above it, the world is pretty clear; below it, all is still dark and shadowy. This line will continue to move down my field of view until all is clear and bright. Right now, though, it's like looking through a pair of leaky swimming goggles.... It is a cloudy and quiet day in the village today. I have heard not a peep from any of the neighbors, and it's just past 10 this morning. Everyone must have decided to have a lie-in because of the weather.... M.A. is going to walk the pups this evening to give C. a night off, and I suspect she'll want to watch more Sex and the City episodes. She has become quite hooked on the show recently, and we have had quite a few conversations about how the world has changed since she was young. And now that I have explained to her what "Trojans" are, she gets more of the jokes. :-) hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home