Saturday, February 12, 2005

the rest continues....

After my latest visit with Dr. Rubio I should be happy (and I am really, although it may be a bit difficult to see through my initial disappointment)---my retina has attached nicely; the intraocular pressure is normal; no cataracts, etc. However, the gas is taking its bloody old time to dissipate, so I am still on bedrest until, get this, the first week of bloody March! I squirmed like a bratty child when Dr. Rubio told me, and he gently reminded me that patience is fundamental to my eye's recovery. And despite my frustration, I know he's right. Although I feel fine as I sit on my tuffet, I was very tired when I got home after just a few hours out on the coast. Additionally, I found I cannot walk for any length of time while this bubble still wobbles in my eye. After my appointment, D. and U. stopped at one of the department stores in Torre del Mar. I decided I would have a walk around as well. At first I was fine, but after about twenty minutes, I was nauseous. With my gas bubble bouncing after every step, I managed to induce a bout of seasickness while still on dry land! So no matter how much I'd love to be up and about, I realize now I cannot. Another positive progress note, every day I check my vision by closing my left eye and holding my finger up to my right eye. I can see every detail perfectly, so the retina appears to be working well. Dr. Rubio also had me try to read the letter chart for the first time yesterday, and I had no trouble seeing the big E over the top of the bubble. The remainder of the chart will become visible as the gas level decreases. So again despite my momentary lapse into whinging, I know I have much to be thankful for. In the next couple weeks, I plan to write some letters and catch up on my reading. I think one of the frustrations for me has been feeling as though I have no sort of purpose. Yes, I intellectually am aware that my purpose is to sit and get well, but I can't up but feel as though I should be doing more. If you haven't heard or read, Pakistan has been having devastating rains. A dam broke in a western province, washing several villages into the sea. In the mountain areas, they have had tremendous snowfalls, with accompanying avalanches, etc. Mr. James says he has never see rain like this. There was little work to be done yesterday because the rain had turned the roads to the work sites into rivers. The phone and Internet connections there have been spotty at best. The outlook is not good either, with rain in the forecast for the next five days.... Today I plan to use my hour of freedom constructively. C. is going to walk me to the market so that I can do some needed shopping. I can't go alone because I am not allowed to carry anything weighing more than a couple kilos. I feel such the invalid.... hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home