Tuesday, February 08, 2005

fat tuesday

Back in PA Dutchland, today is the day when folks line up early in the morning on the Weis Market parking lot to buy their dozen of fasnachts, which are traditionally eaten on Fasnacht Day, also known as Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday, etc. As donuts go, fasnachts are not particularly exciting. There is no glaze or powdered sugar or cream or jelly filling. The Dutchies usually slice them in half and spread thick with turkey syrup, which is like molasses. In the village, the English expats have introduced their similar custom of Pancake Day. Pancakes are nice, but I must admit I miss the donuts. :-) In other news, Mr. James has recovered from his first bout of tummy troubles in Pakistan. He sounded horribly when we skyped Sunday, but after a long sleep and a visit to the local homeopath, he was much better last evening. Additionally, because it is looking as though this contract is going to be extended past March, he decided not to rebook his flight for the end of February and is coming home for a visit. This means, three weeks from today I will be going to the airport to pick him up. :-) Can't wait to see him! And the puppies will be so excited, too. I have four more days before my next doctor visit. After Friday, I really hope I can begin to resume la vida normal. My vision continues to improve, although the gas bubble still makes images wobbly and affects things like my depth perception. However, I can see perfectly well with my left eye, and as lovely as the prepared food has been, I miss the creative outlet of cooking for myself. At least I have been able to start reading again, which is a real treat. I also am looking forward to working again! And walking the dogs....C. reports Maroma is covered with snow this morning. I may venture up to the roof terrace later to sneak a peek. hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home