Monday, February 07, 2005

post-superbowl dream diary

A sad mylifeinspain drifted off to sleep finally at about 4:30 am. However, my brain was still working overtime, and I found myself in a vivid dreamworld. I was back in the hospital, although not in Spain but in the United States. My surgery to repair the retinal detachment had gone off well, but now my doctor thought I needed a second operation to fix a 1.5 degree something; the something was never clarified. Anyway, I found myself sitting around in my hospital room waiting for my doctor and the head of the ophthalmology department to make a decision about when and whether to operate. I passed the time watching Tom and Jerry cartoons. Finally, both doctors came into the room to talk to me. Now here's the strange bit. Both of the doctors were Donovan McNabb; one a younger version, the department chair a bit older and grayer. They debated the merits of the surgery, and finally the elder Donovan won, and I was sent home without further treatment. I was awoken soon after by a tremendous lightning strike and roar of thunder. The dogs panicked and sought shelter behind our two Moroccan end tables. The power went on and off three times before it finally settled on "off". I drifted back to sleep and came to when C. stopped by to walk the dogs and brought me a mug of coffee. Electricity was restored a little while ago, but dark clouds remain over the village, as I am sure they do over Philadelphia today. It's tough being a Philadelphia sports fan. Although having a lot of heart, our teams have a knack of falling apart in the clutch. I have been fortunate to have attended a World Series game, when the Phils lost to the Blue Jays, and an NBA championship game, when the 76ers fell to the Lakers. I will never forget the subway rides to both of those games. There was such optimism and good feeling in every subway car. Strangers from all walks of life chatting and laughing and trading stats and predictions. But we Philadelphia fans know in our guts when our teams are going to lose. This morning I felt my stomach tighten after the Patriots' field goal, and the Eagles wasted too much precious time scoring their third touchdown. There will be no cheer on the subway this morning, just faces looking straightahead or staring out the window. hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home