Monday, January 31, 2005

confinement milestones

Today it is one week since I've been outdoors. I am looking forward to my doctor's appointment tomorrow for no reason other than it means I get to leave the house! This confinement really is for the birds.... Yes, I am getting better and more itchy to get back to my normal life. The past couple days I have been feeling much like my "normal" self, no pain, more energy, etc. Yesterday was the first since the surgery that I did not have to pry my right eye open when I woke. Until then, it had been pasted shut every morning. There is still quite a bit of redness around the eye's perimeter, but the center area is pretty clear. My vision remains blurry and diffused, but colors continue to brighten. When I look upward to put in my eyedrops, I can see the outline of the gas bubble in my eye; the lower edge is slowly moving downward toward the bottom of my eye; at the moment, it's not quite halfway there. The interior of my eye has provided much entertainment for me since this all began. My surgery originally was scheduled for 8:30 pm on the 21st. At 7:00, the nurse came by to tell me it was time to change into my pajamas (yes, another plus about this hospital was no open-backed gowns; I was allowed to bring my own pjs) and to begin the hour-long series of drop insertions. At 8:30, Dr. Rubio stopped by to tell me he had been caught up with an emergency surgery back in Torre del Mar, but that the theatre was being prepared, and they would be ready for me in about thirty minutes. This was welcomed news as I figured the sooner they started, the sooner I could go home. I laid back down on the leather sofa, determined to avoid the hospital bed as long as possible. I could not read or watch TV, so I entertained myself by watching the light show in my eye. The drops turned the little floaty bits in my eye different colors, so I occupied myself for hours watching them move about. I spent a couple hours doing this as I dozed. The phone rang at about 10 pm; it was Dr. Marcos now, telling me he and Dr. Rubio had both been called back to Torre del Mar for another emergency and that I should just sit tight. I went back to the light show in my eye and drifted back to sleep. At almost 1 am, an orderly came and informed me that the doctors were finally ready for me. No more colored bits in my eye, but I can occasionally see the shadow of the bubble in my eye. The doctors told me this would happen, so it's not a worry, but it is strange indeed. The sunlight is too strong for me at the moment, so following Dr. Rubio's advice, I am wearing sunglasses most of the day. Looks so cool with my bandage....I also wonder how long I will continue to wake with lint and dog fur stuck to the adhesive tape residue that seems impossible to remove from my face.... The weather has warmed slightly here, but the temperatures continue to hover near freezing at night. This has created havoc with the crops. We are just coming up on avocado harvest time, and the almond trees had just begun to bloom early last week. Almost of flowered plants that line the village streets have died. Mr. James had a nice birthday. He had dinner with a few of the other contractors at the UN Club. Nokia surprised him with a new fancy mobile phone, one of those little flippy jobs that takes pictures, etc. I had no idea there were still companies out there that even recognized employees' birthdays.... Okay, that's all she wrote for today. Time for my pills and my morning nap.... Hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home