Thursday, January 20, 2005

vitrectomy

....this is the word from the doctors. The bandaged eyes and rest did nothing to improve my detached retina, so tomorrow evening I have to have a vitrectomy. This entails removing the squishy bit inside my eye, inserting an air bubble, securing everything with a beltlike thing, and me lying on my stomach for two weeks while the retina reattaches itself. Tonight Dr. Rubio also did a bit of laser surgery on my left eye to repair an area where I had some cobwebby thing. This took but five minutes and consisted of several series of flashes that were somewhat painful in a dullish way. Tomorrow I get the good drugs and the general anesthesia. The operation will take about two hours, but I should be able to come home Saturday to begin my two weeks of staring at the ground. Crazy, crazy. You never really know on Monday what the week will bring. M.A. is taking me to the hospital in Malaga and will pick me up Saturday. C. will walk the dogs, and several people have offered to make me food during my reposo. I had to reassure Mr. James that I am okay and do not need him to return from Pakistan to care for me. It is strange experience for me as I have been very lucky in life not to have spent any time in a hospital except for my birth. I have been a pretty healthy, and although this eye problem is very serious, I can think of a gazillion other ailments that I would rather not have. This is an inconvenience more than anything. I also could not ask for nicer doctors. Dr. Rubio and Dr. Marcos have been fabulous, and their care has been top notch. Here's a cultural difference for you: when you enter a waiting room here, it is expected that you say hello to everyone else waiting. Many also sat and chatted about their various ailments. I didn't feel comfortable joining in because I was still blindfolded and couldn't see anyone. As I sat for 45 minutes as the nurses put five different drops in my eyes, the song "As Time Goes By" played twice; I had to chuckle for I do not believe many saw the humor in the choice of waiting room music. Ah well, I am tired and must get a good night of sleep. Tomorrow I need to tidy the house a bit and pack my pajamas. Also, thanks to everyone who has sent e-mails wishing me well. I appreciate everyone's good wishes. Will write again as soon as the docs give me the okay. hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home