Saturday, January 15, 2005

last night...

I was watching an episode from season 1 of the old television program "Northern Exposure," a Christmas gift from my parents. I loved this show when it first aired, and I appreciate it even more now that I live in a village, which although not as isolated as Cicily, Alaska, has just as many strange and varied characters. Anyway, in last night's program, the transplanted New York doctor has a shipment of bagels flown in to his adopted home. No one, particularly the pilot who picked them up thinking they were urgently needed medical supplies, quite understood his great affection for these bread products. It's difficult to explain the bagel; Joel's Native American nurse Marilyn noted their specialness allegedly lies "in the water" used, although she didn't seem to give this theory much credence as she shook her head in disbelief. That said, I totally related to the doctor, as he gleefully looked over the box of poppy seed, pumpernickel, sesame seed treats, and I found myself wondering whether to defrost one of my precious bagels tucked away in the freezer.... Just popped out to pick up a few things from the weekly market and ran into the village's most recently relocated American and his Spanish wife. Until six months ago, they lived outside of Boston but now have a house at the top of the village. Depending on the outcome of tomorrow's NFL playoff games, we could have an interesting rivalry in a couple weeks. :-) Mr. James sent me a photo of himself yesterday, perched 60 feet in the air on a cell phone mast. Now this gives me worry....Mr. James is not known for his gracefulness, although he assures me he always wears a safety harness. He has also purchased a new laptop for himself, a practical purchase as we can now Skype; the new computer will pay for itself in a few months in what we will save on the phone bill. Okay, must get back to work....go Eagles! hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home