Thursday, January 19, 2006

what's new/trip highlights, part II

Finally finished this book project I have been working on since early September. Good riddance to it, I say. It was a fairly tedious subject, with tons of graphical material, so I am happy to move on to something a bit more interesting. Otherwise, the days are just ticking by. No more news on the job in Prague (for those of you who never guessed the mystery location). From what Big Jim can gather from the agent, the company is hiring many, many people, and the process is taking longer than expected. Bit of a drag it is because Prague would be a great place to spend a year living, giving both of us a much-needed break from village life and the opportunity to gain some perspective. So we shall see. Big Jim has received a bunch of other calls for jobs in other interesting places; just depends now on the timing of the Prague project. The sun has finally returned after days and days of pounding rain. (No complaints as I remind myself the country certainly needs la lluvia.) Because the dreary weather causes many to hibernate and huddle around their fires, we have seen few of our friends since we've been back. But tonight we are having M.A. over for dinner so that we can finally catch up properly. Very much looking forward to seeing her. :-) Must go finish my work before her arrival, but for now here is the second installment of my Nostalgia Trip 2005 highlights. Hasta pronto, mylifeinspain
A Griswald-style Christmas house, albeit a bit more tastefully done than Clark's. *Spending an entire afternoon baking snickerdoodles and Tollhouse cookies...so much butter, but so, so yummy. *Lounging about coffee shops with Big Jim, with all my work deadlines far, far away in Spain.
Too much Christmas fun for my brother, my parents' cat, and my niece. *Eating sushi with M. at Koi in Northern Liberties. Philly people who dig sushi: you must try this place. Awesome lunch boxes full of delicious sushi for $9-10. *Spending time with my friend C. from college and J. from old Philly days and their families. So good to see them happy and enjoying life.
King Dad, with his Christmas cracker crown. *Dinner at Vietnam with S. and M. Thanks again for the great gifts. Big Jim loves his body butter (you know how the guy loves his "products"). *Strolling through the Reading Terminal Market and stopping by the Down Home Diner (okay, twice) for a bite.
M. and T., our fabulous B&B hosts. Thanks again! :-) *Watching "Ice Age" with my niece Cora, oh I mean the tiger (warning: don't argue with her about this point.) *Weird little family things, for example, finding out my sister and I recently purchased almost identical glass frames, me in Pakistan, her in Maryland....same brand, just slightly different color. You can put miles and miles between you, but you can't change certain genetic predispositions.
My dad again, this time on New Year's Eve, seeming surprised to find his Manhattan glass not in his hand. *Staying up until 3am on Christmas, catching up with my brother. *Fabulous NYE's dinner at one of those great old PA Dutch hotels.
A more-sober mother. (Dad, was totally fine, btw. Just a gentle rib. :-) *Amanda, the wonderfully friendly and nice worker at Enterprise Rent-a-Car. *Bagels, bagels, bagels.
Cora, the tiger, and her assorted animal friends. *Pizza, pizza, pizza. *Going for long walks with Big Jim in the cold, fresh air.
Beautiful sunset on the way to my sister's place in Maryland. *Shopping for foodstuffs that we can't find in Spain, things like orzo, Jelly Belly beans (for Big Jim, of course), etc. *Watching the View every day with my mom and Big Jim.
Cora's "puppy" Otis, with his adopted stuffed Lab. *Visiting my sister's place in Maryland. *Getting to know my niece, correction the tiger, better.
My sister and Cora having a little "discussion" about picking up toys. *Seeing my aunt and uncle and cousins, although too briefly. *Pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day, an old PA Dutch tradition.
Laughing at Cora's silliness, although judging by her mother's expression, it might have involved a "potty word." *Embracing sweatpants as a fashion item. Especially useful if you gain 2 kg (life I did) and 4 kg (like Big Jim) did during a 3-week holiday. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home