Monday, May 30, 2005

where am i?

It is gray and dreary, and every now and then rain spatters on the roof. I woke up this morning and thought, "Yes! Rain! A day without incessant banging and whirring of electrical saws! Wahoo!" No such luck. Loli and his team are at work. Like they are every day. Ugh, deep sigh. As I mentioned previously, the houses in the village are put together like jigsaw puzzles. For example, to stand in the ground floor (1st floor American) below our bedroom, one would go outside, down the steps, make a left, enter a house halfway down the street, walk to the back of that house, and finally one would be under our bedroom. So that's the killer about this house with the construction: I never even noticed it before because its front door is completely around the block. But what the owners have done/are doing is to completely gut the place, AND they are adding an entire new story to the top. AND they are putting a door in the narrow wall that separates our house from R.'s house. This door will lead into their 17-year-old son's bedroom. Apparently the mother is tired of him and his friends waking the family with their late hours, so he gets his own door. R. has done his bit and gone to the ayuntamiento to complain. The new door is literally six inches from his front door. But the village architect came to look at it and couldn't see what the fuss was all about. (Mind you, this is the same man who was leading the distinct projects of a new swimming pool and a new sports complex for the village, and it was only when the designs were near completion that he realized both were drawn to occupy the same [still] empty lot at the edge of town.) My hands are tied at the moment because the owners of the house are also the owners of the only auto garage in the village, the very one that seems to be holding my car hostage. M.A. took me to the coast Saturday, and on the way back, we drove by the garage. My car is sitting where I left it two weeks ago, collecting dust, while apparently nothing has been done to it. So, when the rain clears, that's another item on my "to do" list: walk down there and find out what the hell is going on. ************************************************ I had a much-needed three-hour conversation with my mother Friday. Topics included everything that has been bothering me, which I will get to writing about when I am feeling up to it. For now, I have to get to work. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the editing and keeping up the house. I just don't seem to be able to work as fast as I used to. :-( hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home