Friday, April 29, 2005

eye update

Was back with Dr. Rubio today for this shoot-me-up-with-dye test (technically, fluorescein angiography). The dye man is apparently for hire because all the patients with me in the waiting room were there for the FA. We were also all very cranky because we had to fast, so no coffee, no toast, no juice for any of us this morning. Anyway, Drs. Rubio and Marcos had ordered the FA so that they could have a look to see whether there was any inflammation or liquid still underneath my retina. The FA should be a fairly painless procedure. However, the dye man and the technician who took the photos argued over which of my hands was best to stick the needle for the IV line carrying the dye. First, they tried the right hand. Mistake. I winced and then was a big girly and started crying (Okay, it really hurt). Immediately a giant hematoma formed on the top of my hand, and dye man yanked out the needle, dye squirting. "See, I was right. The left hand would have been better," he announced proudly to the technician. So back in went the needle in my other hand. No pain this time. Then the tech took a bunch of pictures and said I could go get breakfast and come back in half an hour. Saffron-colored dye had spilled out onto both hands, plus I had these big cotton bandages, one attempting to cover the golfball-sized mass on my right hand. I thought what barman is going to serve me a coffee, looking so freakish. Apparently, the barman at the cafe across the street from the eye clinic, where I found my fellow FA colleagues all chowing down. Had breakfast and read a little of "South from Granada" and then went to see Dr. Rubio. Everything in my eye is perfectly as it should be, and because I continue to have improved vision, albeit ever so slowly, the doctors are encouraged that I will get back as much as 60% (up from their previous mark of 40%) of my eyesight back. It just may take 6, 8 months, or even more. "Pacienca, pacienca, pacienca," said Dr. Rubio. And I can start driving again, wahoo! It had become to be a real drag always having to ask people to take me places, so I am very happy about this. Rubio just said I should be careful when parking, but other than that, I should use my eye as much as possible. My next appointment is in three months. So other than having bright orange-yellow hands, plus day-glo pee (which I am told will stop in a day or two), all is well. I'm not sure what Big Jim's friends at the black-tie wedding will make of his wife with the bruised hand and track marks, but I'm sure he will come up with an amusing tale. For some reason, Rubio gave me a copy of my eye photos. Not sure whether I am supposed to frame them or what, but if I have a spare moment this weekend, I will scan and post here for you all to admire. :-) hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

3 Comments:

Blogger rondinara said...

Hi MyLifeInSpain -

But what does it mean to get back 60% of your vision? You will be able to drive, that's obviously a good sign and a good thing to have mobility.

I hope it turns out for the best.

Toos

2:35 PM  
Blogger rondinara said...

One additional question ...

How do you take such sumptious photos with limited eyesight?!

Keep it up,
A fan,
Toos

2:46 PM  
Blogger mylifeinspain said...

Hi again,
The doctors have applied a percentage figure based on how much I can see, with my corrected prescription for the nearsightedness. To give you a better idea of what I can see, if I shut my left eye (which is fully functional, by the way, to answer your second question), I am able to see the window, the pictures on the wall, my dogs sitting beside me; however, I can read virtually nothing on the computer screen. This is with wearing my contacts, mind you.
There will a little adjustment to driving because my right peripheral vision is not as good as it used to be, but it's simply a matter of turning my head more often than before to check blindspots. So, it definitely could be worse.
Thanks for your good wishes.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home