Friday, May 13, 2005

vacation over

Am back in the village, although I am admittedly a bit ambivalent about it all at the moment. Postvacation blues I suppose.... At this time yesterday I wasn't sure where I would be today. Lufthansa had severely overbooked my flight, by like 40 seats or so, and despite purchasing my ticket well in advance found myself on the waiting list, which was one step up from standby in the seatless hierarchy. After patiently queuing as I was taught to do as a preschool student, I eventually got fed up of being pushed aside by the masses and shoved myself to the front desk, only to be told for the third time that there still was no seat for me. I gave up and went to the conveniently located smoking area just across the corridor and waited there. In the end, I got on the flight, but not without losing two days worth of vacation relaxation bliss from the stress of it all. Was lovely sunny and hot when we touched down in Malaga. Francisco the taxista was waiting for me at the arrivals gate, all cheery. The ride home was painless as he filled me in on the latest town news. As we started the climb up the mountain, however, the warm sun was replaced by dense rain clouds and a dramatic drop in temperature, and we just made it to the front door with my luggage before the heavens opened. C.K. awoke from her sleep to greet me and then demand more food be added to her already-filled bowl. When the shower passed, I went out to buy necessities: milk, juice, and bread for my breakfast. I came home to check on the plants and was sad to see they were neglected while I was away. Several were completely dead, and most looked starved for attention. :-( I understand now why Big Jim was angry with me when I didn't look after his peppers properly a couple years ago when he was away for a job interview. Some of these I had raised from seed, and this being my first serious foray into gardening, I was quite pleased with their progress. And now I find myself having to start over. C. owes me a trip to the garden center! (minus 1 more vacation bliss day; total remaining, 8). This morning I woke early and went out to inspect the road works. Various bits of the village are torn up because, get this, the electric company is finally putting the cables underground. I must take some photos before the work is completed so that you can see the current setup. Although that said, Big Jim's photos of the same from Pakistan make our wiring look extremely sophisticated. In other sections of town, streets have been dug up to replace water/sewage pipes. This too is a long-needed improvement because---how can I say this delicately---the village can be a bit smelly at times. So anyway, the purpose of my walk was to plan my route out of town so that I could pick up the pups at the kennels. Our normal way out of the village is currently cut off, forcing a normally one-way "street" to become a free for all. It would not be easy, but it was doable. Managed to get to Kosydale without event and was knocked over by two incredibly delighted dogs. It is so good to have them back. :-) On the way back through the village, however, I tried to pull over to allow another car to pass and instead hit the curb, hard enough to flatten the tire (minus 4 more vacation relaxation bliss days; total remaining, 4). Fortunately, I could park up easily enough and walked the dogs home. But ugh...got all upset with myself for doing something so stupid. This was the first time I drove since the eye problems started almost four months ago, and I didn't need it today. Sent off a pitiful e-mail to Big Jim and then went to the garage to arrange for them to tow it and check out the car, replace the tire, etc. I am also going to have them put on some additional mirrors to help me with seeing the curb. As I walked home rather dejectedly, cursing my feeble eye, I passed through the village carpark. I went up and down the rows, admiring the dents, the scrapes, the duct-taped bumpers, and could not help but smile. Yes, it is going to be a big adjustment for me to learn to drive again with my lame eye, but it was nice to be reminded that these minor accidents are daily occurrences in this village. Plus, Big Jim later skyped and reminded me that the tire in question had been a bit iffy anyway, so no worries (0.5 vacation relaxation bliss day restored; total remaining 4.5). So now I am off to deal with the unpacking and the laundry. The sun has returned, so it is looking like a more promising wash day. The pups are fast asleep, exhausted from their kennel play. Will sort out trip photos and post soon. And I will cling to these last 4.5 vacation relaxation bliss days like nobody's business. hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home