Wednesday, April 27, 2005

spanish "express"

Yesterday I received a visit from two couriers. The first was a man from DHL, delivering a book for my new editing project. It was shipped Friday from St. Louis, Missouri. The second was a man from Nacex (a Spanish courier company), who brought my airline ticket to Frankfurt. It was sent April 13 from Malaga and was to arrive in 24 to 48 hours. As you can see, it did not. The package only arrived after an exchange of about 12 e-mails with the travel agent (who was very helpful and patient, by the way) and me phoning Nacex directly. I was first told they had made several attempts to deliver the ticket, but I was never home. Therefore, I was going to have to come to Malaga myself to pick up the ticket. Bull, bull, bull. We have had this problem before, as have others in the village. The truth is that many couriers don't care to drive up here just to deliver one package. Fair enough, but don't lie and say you attempted delivery and no one was home. I used Nacex's tracking service on their web site and repeatedly received the message that there was no record of my package. Scary. When I purchased the ticket, I also had to provide two phone numbers to the courier. I suggested to Nacex if the delivery man came and no one was home, why wouldn't he call my mobile because invaribly I would be just down the street at the market or walking the dogs. I was told the delivery guy could not call my mobile. Well, then why did I have to give two contact numbers?!! The lovely Cristina at the travel agent finally arranged for the ticket to be delivered Monday between 9 am and 2 pm. I was home the entire time, except when at the vet's with Mr. Beebs, and then my friend L. stayed at the house to wait for the ticket. Surprise, surprise, it never arrived. That evening I received a call from the delivery man himself, telling me he would be there Tuesday between 12 and 1:30. Perfect, I say. But 1:30 came and went with no ticket. An hour later, I was just about to send off another fiery e-mail to Nacex, when there was a knock at the door. Finally, finally I had my ticket. Almost two weeks for it to travel 40 miles. My suggestion: in Spain, only buy e-tickets. Five days until I see Big Jim. :-) hasta manana, mylifeinspain

5 Comments:

Blogger mylifeinspain said...

Thanks so much, and have a great trip! Despite my occasional whinging about expat life here, Spain is a beautiful and wonderful place full of fascinating people. My husband and I enjoy watching our visitors begin to relax and appreciate the Spanish approach to life during their stays. Most are perfectly content just sitting on our roof terrace and taking in some sun while having morning coffee....
All the best,

4:34 PM  
Blogger rondinara said...

I guess my comment didn't post. I'll try again.

I know what you mean about delivery guys. I have the same problem here in Manhattan and it happens to all of them whether the US Mail, UPS, or whatever. They come to the front door of my building, buzz my apartment (no response), and leave a note. Not much else they can do, of course, because they need a signature. There's the rub. Alternative, which I'm sure you've thought of, is to get someone you trust to sign for you and leave a note for the carrier. Would that work?

Also, some carriers now have a non-sign option complete with disclaimers, I'm sure. This would probably not work for your senders. Which brings me to...

Do you freelance for American firms from your life in Spain? If so, that's way cool!

Regards,
Toos

2:55 PM  
Blogger mylifeinspain said...

Thanks for your message...I had almost forgotten that it once took the USPS 8 months to deliver a letter from my grandmother to Philadelphia (and in theory it only had to travel 60 miles).
The problem here is that most delivery guys from Malaga don't like driving up the 10-mile twisty scary mountain road to the village, so they try to avoid it at all costs. I have left notes for them asking that they leave packages with the neighbor; they just put off the journey as long as possible....if they had come, eagle-eye Almendena would know.
Anyway, yes, I freelance for US companies, and because of the Internet I can do so quite easily (and keep my dealings with couriers to a minimum). :-)

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm spanish and I found your blog in the net. So long since I've laughted this much because I understand perfectly all your struggle with that company and all that shit they told you.

Kisses

7:36 PM  
Blogger mylifeinspain said...

Thanks for your message. :-) You would also probably appreciate the fact that our electric bill often arrives two weeks after the due date for payment. Several times we have received a late notice BEFORE the actual bill itself. And don't get me started on Telefonica.... But as one Spanish man reminded me, I have only had to deal with these problems for a few years; the Spanish have had to deal with them all their lives. :-) Thanks for reading.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home