Thursday, March 17, 2005

out of hibernation

So I skyped Big Jim last evening and told him about the news from the doctors. We discussed all of the possible outcomes, including the fact that I might be left with poor vision in my right eye. He suggested if this be the case that I adopt a more roguish appearance and start wearing an eyepatch. I initially wasn't too keen about the idea, but he then proceeded to send me links to several web sites that sell specialized eyepatches (www.patchpal.com/patches.htm and www.stores.ebay.com/Munchkins-eye-Patches). After perusing these, I warmed a bit to the idea. Seriously, how could one not love a Hello Kitty eyepatch! On my first officially sanctioned walk with the dogs last night, I decided to take them on a tour around the village. Wow, how the little town has changed in two months! There is a new upscalish tapas bar in the main square, and Bar Loro, which is under new management, has been completely remodeled. The block of flats by the edge of the old village has been finished and now has actual residents moved in. Work on the new sports complex has really taken off. Is this how bears feel when they wake up from their winter slumber I could not help but think to myself. I continued my reawakening on the goat track this morning. I took the camera along to mark the occasion. Today is a beautiful day for a walk. Springy temperatures and quite a bit of sun. The dogs had a great time, as did I. Ran into the randy Alfonso, who was very glad to see me back up on my feet. I decided not to overdo it on my first day, so we only walked half the length of the entire trail before turning back. Still about a 40-minute walk roundtrip. Plan to spend the rest of the day tidying up the house and doing some laundry. I also will e-mail my work clients to let them know I can take new assignments. I have had a lot of time to rethink my work approach. In the past, I primarily have been working on long-term ongoing projects. This worked well then and provided us some veil of security when Big Jim and I needed it. However, because we know Big Jim's contract has been extended for at least another six months, I am in the position to be a bit more flexible and selective in the kinds of jobs I take on going forward. So my new plan is to retain one longer-term project and then pick up more short-term, one-off assignments and just see how that goes. Okay, must be off. Here are some pics from our walk today. Also, plan to post more of Big Jim's photos from Pakistan in the next day or so. :-) hasta luego, mylifeinspain
Maroma, covered in clouds, with just a touch of snow left on the peak. The rusty brown bits you see are dead avocado trees, more testimony to the harsh winter we've had.
But the farmers being the resilient creatures they are have replanted.
The Beeb man, running along the top of the irrigation canal. It was empty today; otherwise, he would be below, running through the water, one of his favorite things.
And the precious Boo, who typically is afraid of cameras but does not seem to mind my little Caplio R1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home