Wednesday, March 16, 2005

good news/bad news

C. took me to my eye appointment this morning. I saw both Drs. Marcos and Rubio. Here's the skinny: the good news is that my retina is in place and I have no cataracts AND no more reposo absoluto. I have done very well taking care of myself say the doctors. So I can get back to doing all the normal things that make me happy. :-) The bad news is that my vision is still very bad, even with prescription lenses. I think the easiest way to explain is the following. When the doctors put a straight line in front of my right eye, I see the line, but there are blurry bands running through it. The doctors believe that although the retina is in place, layers underneath are still inflamed and thus wrinkled. If the crafters out there imagine doing decoupage and having a tiny section of the paper wrinkle, this is essentially what is going on in my eye. Thus, I have to take three different kinds of antiinflammatories, two kinds of pills and a different eye drop, for the next three weeks, which the doctors hope will "iron out" the wrinkly bits. And I am not to rub my eye at all, very important they say. The doctors assure me not to be too concerned; it is still relatively early in my recovery. I am okay with this. As I said to C. on the ride back to the village, suppose the worst case scenario, ie, I am left with crap vision in my right eye, I can live with that. My left eye is still healthy, and crap vision is still better than no vision at all. Growing up, I knew two people who had lost an eye in accidents, and they lived perfectly fully functional lives. So although I am admittedly a tad disappointed, I am not at all panicked by today's evaluation. After the doctor visit, C. and I had a coffee at this place I have always wanted to try in Torre del Mar. From the windows outside, it appeared to have an almost American diner-like atmosphere that appealed to me. Once inside, it did not disappoint. Coffee machines whirling, glass clinking. People of all sorts scattered about, chatting or reading the newspaper. After our quick coffee, we stopped by this British shop, which occasionally stocks bagels. Happy happy to find a four-pack with my name on it, so I bought them as a little treat. We then drove along the coast road to Torrox, where C. introduced me to a fantastic greenhouse. Now that I am released from bedrest and the frosty weather is in the past, I plan to spend the weekend getting the garden in order. Everyone here spiffies up their houses before Semana Santa, so I feel I should do the same. Don't want to be the eyesore on our tidy little street. :-) What a fabulous garden center this place is. I suspect I will be making return trips. I filled the shopping trolley with all sorts...petunias, pansies, gerbera daisies, and a couple I can't remember the names of, plus I picked up a basil plant to tie me over until the new seeds sprout AND I chose a topiary of daisies to go outside the front door. All totaled, the bill came to less than 25 euros, which I thought was quite a deal. Really excited to start potting up everything Saturday. I do realize I am not going to be able to just jump back into my old routine. I will have to take things slowly. Just our 4-hour trip and little shopping excursion today has worn me out. So, off now for a siesta and then to the farmacia to pick up my new drugs. hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home