Thursday, August 04, 2005

stranger, bumps in the night

Two nights ago, I was in a state of peaceful slumber, dreaming of cool breezes and an endless bowl of tiramisu, when I was oh-so-rudely awakened by first a low but crescendo-ing gutteral growl, followed by a high-pitched, glass-breaking shriek and hiss. Cat fight, I think as I turn over, ready to resume my sleep. Scramble, bang, scramble, bang, crash, crash. I jump back up. The cat fight is in my house! I reach out to the nightstand, patting about for my thick-framed and -lensed glasses, and slip into my flipflops. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I determine the fun is taking place in the washroom, above. As I pass the office, I notice that our kitty diva, C.K., is curled up in her little bed, oblivious to the drama upstairs. Hmmm, interesting. I flick on the light just as a cat tail pops out of the washroom window, onto the roof and terrace below, safe from the antagonizing force also known as Mr. Beebs. I scan the room for clues and quickly deduce the following. Neighborhood kitty cat, probably Twitchy, is out hunting gecko and comes across what he thinks is a public restroom, C.K.'s litter box. He goes about his business, but Mr. Beebs, always an opportunist where the litter box is concerned, hears the scratching about and decides to investigate. Cat/dog confrontation, multiple failed escape attempts by cat, pile of fallen flower pots, and finally success out the window. I restack the terracotta planters, turn off the light, and head back to bed. Mr. Beebs curls up under the covers with me, gets in my nook, and rests his head on my shoulder (this makes Big Jim very jealous, mainly because Mr. B. is supposed to be HIS dog), and is fast asleep in minutes. I, on the other hand, am far from sleep after the hullabaloo. I toss, I turn, well as much as one can with a conjoined dog appendage. I count backwards from 100 and then, discouraged, start again from 1000. I get bored in the 700s and throw back the blanket, stomp into the TV room in such of a DVD with really boring, self-involved commentary, my surefire cure for insomnia. Ahhhhh, success. Back to that endless bowl of tiramisu.... :-) Hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home