Tuesday, July 19, 2005

early to bed

It's still hot. I am amazed at how the Spanish neighbors, who one would assume would be used to insane summer temperatures, can talk for hours about the heat. Granted, I think I have acclimatized quite well, considering I only start moaning about it when the thermometer hits 105 to 110 F, which it did yesterday on R.'s terrace. The streets are deserted in the afternoon, everyone inside seeking shelter from the sun. So I am sitting here now, nursing a tinto de verano, hoping it will coax me to sleep in about an hour. When it is hot like this, I usually don't think about going to bed until at least 1 am, when the house cools off and sleep becomes possible. But tomorrow I have to catch the 7 am bus for my morning eye appointment with the Drs. Marcos and Rubio. I can't drive myself because they load me up with all sorts of drops, plus I am hoping to maybe get in a Med swim before I have to catch the bus back to the village. I haven't noticed any dramatic improvements in the right eye, although I think perhaps the vision is a slightly better. I can actually read "Yahoo" on the home page, which I couldn't before. I also want them to look at the left eye though because I have a new floater, which could be nothing or it could be something. Either way, I would like to know and have it taken care of if need be. Twenty days until Big Jim is back in the village. Much to do before then workwise, plus the village feria kicks off Thursday, which means absolute hell for the dogs and me, who has to attempt to walk them through the day/night-long barrage of rockets and fireworks. Actually, the time from now until the end of the year is going to busy. I bought my ticket to Pakistan yesterday, so I will be there from October 1 to 16. So, while Big Jim is home in August, we have to go to Madrid so that I can get my travel visa. And I need to get all my shots; hope this is something I can get from the local pharmacist and doesn't involve a trip to Malaga. After my Pakistan adventure, Big Jim is going to come back with me to the village for a week or so (K., if you are seriously thinking of visiting w/ the little Cora, this would be a good time; we'll talk.). Officially his contract with Nokia should be up then. But given the state of the project, it looks as though another six-month extension is in the works. I had hoped to make a visit to the US before Christmas this year, but it is not looking very possible. Perhaps if I can find a cheap flight in September, although I don't know how patient my work clients will be, considering I will only be working half of August and half of October, plus plan to take off two weeks or slightly more for Christmas. Okay, don't mind me, just trying to get a handle on all this myself. (And I only feel slightly guilty about taking this much vacation, considering Big Jim and I had no vacation for the years he was job hunting. Just using up my "banked" holidays, I figure.) Yes, the refreshing, slightly alcoholic drink has worked its magic as I am beginning to get dozy. Now must just remember to set the alarm...... hasta luego, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home