Monday, August 01, 2005

home office woes

There are many, many things I love about working from home. So many, that if I can manage to swing it, I intend to do so for the rest of my working years. However, one of the biggest challenges I have had has been with my scheduling, and more specifically, getting my friends here in Spain to respect my workday. I have tried many schedules, but I have found the one that works the best is 11 am to 8 pm, with a 1- to 2-hour break in the afternoon for preparing and eating my dinner. The 11 am start time is good because it allows me to do all my morning chores and errands and bread-buying before I get into my work. The later evening quitting time also works well because this is when most Spanish people end their workday; plus it allows me to work half the day of my clients back in the U.S. I am not always completely rigid with my hours. For example, I have Spanish class from 2:00 to 3:30, so I usually try to get an earlier start on Thursdays. And when I want to go shopping on the coast one morning, I may work until as late as 9 or 9:30 that night. I know this probably sounds insane to those not used to a Spanish workday, but these are not crazy hours here. Most people, myself included, don't have our evening meal (which for me is usually a sandwich or salad or eggs, or on the rare occasion, a bowl of ice cream :-) until 9:30 or 10:00 pm. Personally, I am cool with my schedule and that's all that matters. The previous paragraph was mainly background information for the rant to follow. Because I am "home", I have found many people do not seem to understand that I AM WORKING. Therefore, today out of absolute frustration, I am putting together a "Do Not Disturb" letter to hang on my front door. ******************************************** Dear friends, Despite the fact that I have told you many times of my work hours, you have come by the house/office anyway. I understand many of you are retired or work construction jobs and therefore have an earlier quitting time than myself. However, I apparently need to remind you (again) of the following: As much as I enjoy rioja, it is not cool to stop by unannounced for a glass of wine at 3:00 on a Monday afternoon. It also is not cool to call me on the phone every five minutes because I am likely to launch it out the window rather than pick it up! If you ignore the above and bullheadedly knock at the door anyway, and I do not answer, please do not proceed to shout my name at the office window because if I wasn't answering the door before, I sure am not going to answer it now! Do not wait outside for me to "return" and then say "What, you have been inside all this time?!" when I appear at the door to walk the dogs. If I don't answer the door, it is because I AM BUSY. But "it's 8:01 pm," you say. "It's past your work hours." Well, here's the skinny. When you work for yourself, sometimes quitting time may be 7:45. Sometimes it may be 8:08. You gotta be flexible, people. I punch my own time clock. And if I am still trying to finish up for the day at 8:02, it's my prerogative not to answer the door. [As an aside, I am not normally horribly opposed to answering either the phone or door while I am working. I have only reached this state because I have countless times picked up the phone or answered the door and told people that it wasn't a good time, yet I still had my ear talked off or alternatively found myself with someone sitting in my living room "just for a minute" while I fire up the kettle for a cup of tea or go to open a bottle of wine. And then an hour later....] No, I can't come out with you for drinks on a Tuesday night when I have a deadline Wednesday. Would love to but need to have completely clear head so that I can focus on my work, which as you know, given its very nature, requires said clear head. I could go on, people, so let's get back to basics. If I don't answer the door or the phone, I am either not home or busy with work and cannot be disturbed. If urgent, slip a note for me under the door. I will see it when I go to the kitchen to get a drink, which I do about every hour. DO NOT WORRY; I AM NOT DEAD. If I were, Almendena would have spotted that hours ago because she misses not a thing. And please don't take any of this personally, friends. I do love you. Finally, I have told you all already, but here's another reminder. I am going to be very, very busy this week because I am finishing up a project before Big Jim arrives next Monday. I have tons of other errands to run as well, plus get the house cleaned. So I may not have much time for socializing. We will all have plenty of time for that when he's back for vacation. But that said, don't you all get any crazy ideas and stop by unannounced then either. I may be off work for two weeks, but if anyone knows my husband, we will be busy (wink, wink). Got it? Good. ******************************************* Whew, feel much better now. I suppose many people who work from home face these issues, although perhaps my situation is a little different because there is such a high percentage of retired people living around me. Plus, telecommuting is still a bit of an oddity here in the village. Anyway, if any of you are work from home people or own your own business, how do you cope with the balance? Am sincerely interested in ideas as I don't seriously think I can post the above letter, no matter how tempting. :-) hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My God - did you just read my mind!? I know exactly how you feel and no, I don't have an answer or solution for you. How do you deal with outoftown visitors who don't quite get that yes, it's lovely that they've come to visit and yes, it wonderful to see them in the evenings, but yes, even though I'm -at home- it does not mean I'm available all day to go out and show them the sights and please, stop looking so disappointed, they wouldn't take a week off work if I came to visit them!
Ahem. Yes. Anyway. You're SO not alone.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home