Wednesday, June 22, 2005

mission accomplished/summer sighting


As you can see, it wasn't the biggest of nests, so we used the "spray, dash, and slam the door shut" method of removal. No human/canine/feline injuries to report. I did actually check the yellow pages for pest removers, but not surprisingly none were located east of Malaga. I am sure it is the local "why buy a fence when you can use an old bedframe just as well", do-it-yourself resiliency that keeps anyone from setting up shop here. Some of the wasps are still hanging around the terrace and seem to be quite annoyed about their displacement. And who can blame them? I don't care if they decide to build another home nearby; as I said before, we have shared the terrace space for the past two years. The dining table, however, is not an option. ********************************* Gecko update: I had seen NONE for the past couple weeks and was beginning to fear the two young feral cats that recently moved into the neighborhood, Blacky and Twitchy, had decimated the newly born gecko population. But last night, after watching two episodes of "Homicide", season 4, I creeped downstairs to the kitchen to get a drink of water and turn off the lights. I "creeped" because the program had made the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand up. In our corner of the world, I am more likely to be attacked by a wild boar than I am by some homicidal psychopath, and as a result my guard is down, so down, that I routinely forget to remove my keys from the front door, where they hang untouched, sometimes all night, until I stumble across them or Almendena calls up to me "R., tus llaves estan en la puerta!" So I decided I better doublecheck the door last night because, well, you never know. No keys this time, but my eyes drifted upward, first to the almost-full moon overhead and then back down to Almendena's kitchen window, which was softly illuminated by the streetlamp. And there he was. Baby gecko. Just a tiny little guy, but firmly planted to the wall about 12 feet up. A sure sign that summer had arrived for real this time. hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home