Monday, October 10, 2005

we're okay

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that Big Jim and I are now safe in Islamabad. We were airlifted from Naran late this afternoon by military helicopter. Naran is in the mountains near Kashmir and was hard hit. The only road there will be closed six months because of the landslides. We have seen horrible, horrible things. The mountains that I have loved so displayed their dark and destructive side in ways difficult for me to explain. Big Jim and I are eternally grateful to the Pakistan military and their equivalent of the Army Corp of Engineers, who undoubtedly saved our lives, as well as many others. Thank you all for your e-mails. We were worried about your worrying, but we had virtually nonexistent communications. Big Jim and I are going to take a few days to process our experience, and then I will post again. We have amazing photos, not just from the earthquake but also from our previous two days in Naran, one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Our driver Nasir, our friend Nasir, was also airlifted with us. His family here in Islamabad is also safe, and they currently are enjoying a most joyous reunion. My only request to you all is to give whatever you can to the recovery relief. The area of destruction is vast and the casualities enormous. In the tiny villages of Naran and Kaghan 175 people have died, 2000 just in the Kaghan Valley, where Naran is located. These people had so little to begin with, and now they have nothing. Until soon, mylifeinspain p.s. Mom and Dad, call me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home