Friday, October 22, 2004

tgif

I'm learning that sometimes life makes decisions for you. I have been talking about dropping an editing client to free up more of my time for writing now that Big Jim is back working. Well, yesterday I received an e-mail from one of my editors informing me that the society that owns one of the journals I edit has not renewed their contract because they received a better (ie, cheaper) offer from another company that outsources their work. Outsource, god how I am beginning to truly despise that word. I am disappointed by the news because I really enjoyed working on this project and was not considering dropping this client. My editor is trying to find me another journal to work on; I hope he does because I like working with him and his team very much. They are true professionals, which is becoming more rare these days. Unfortunately, little value seems to be put on professionalism anymore. Ho hum. Last night I didn't make the persimmon cookies after all....realized too late I needed to thaw some butter from the freezer first, so it's on the agenda for this evening. Instead, I transplanted some marigolds into the window boxes and added some mums that I bought at the market last Saturday. I figured the mums would make the house look more like the autumn I'm accustomed to. Every fall I used to have some in my apartment in Philadelphia and was happy to find two here, one gold and the other a peachy orange. If the cookies turn out well, I'll post the recipe on the blog tomorrow. :-) Had to abort my trip to the coast this morning....I flooded the engine trying to turn around on the hill behind the house. It's no easy feat....the "hill" has a pitch similar to a San Francisco street and much skill is required with the clutch and handbreak to turn the damn thing around. Will try again later this afternoon. The car is on thin ice with me again, just when I thought we were working out our issues. Another weekend is upon us, and I never updated on the events of last weekend. Had a wonderful night and meal with L. on Saturday, and Sunday M.A. had brunch in honor of her friend I., who is visiting from Norway. M.A.'s having another do tomorrow evening for I., which I plan to attend for little while. I'm having the two of them over for dinner Monday, and L. Tuesday, so I have a lot of cooking and cleaning to do this weekend. Big Jim is off to Arnhem for the weekend to visit with our friend G., whose girlfriend has just returned from Thailand. I miss the Big Jim very much, but am counting down to his next visit in two weeks. :-) Happy weekend, everyone! hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home