Sunday, August 29, 2004

the dogs know

...something strange is going on. Mr. Beebs has been especially needy and pathetic the past couple days. Every time Big Jim leaves the house, "his dog" sits by the door and whimpers inconsolably. And during the precious Boo's five years (the first two of which Big Jim and I were still doing the transatlantic thing), she's seen plenty of suitcases packed to understand the significance. I anticipate it will take a week or so before they adjust to the Big Jim's absence. Big Jim's almost ready now. I spent some time with him this morning playing stylist. I had forgotten how much planning has to go into mens' proper business attire: the suits, shirts, ties, cufflinks, etc. My current "business casual" clothes consist of pjs or linen sundresses or loose capri pants and tank shirts. And because the village is the way it is, one can wear the same outfit for days without anyone noticing or caring. It's only when we go to the coast do we realize our jeans are looking a tad rough. He just finished sending off a few e-mails, and now all that remains is the physical packing of the bags. Big Jim has made our tv lounge into a staging area, so the actual packing should not take very long. I am a little nervous at the moment---my stomach's fluttering---but I am also so proud of Big Jim. He has been through so much yet he persevered despite an often demoralizing job market. We have had to put our lives essentially on hold for three years, and I feel overwhelmed with joy that we can now finally begin the long-delayed next chapter. hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home