Friday, August 20, 2004

noche del vino: final thoughts

The Noche del Vino is the last of the village's three summer festivals (in addition to the feria, there is a 5-day cultural festival in June). And so, after the last grape is stomped and the final guitar is packed in its case, the harsh reality sinks in that the long hot dusty summer days are dwindling and autumn is just around the corner. Summer is the social season in our village. During the cold and rainy months, most people hibernate in their homes by the fire while pots of stew simmer on the gas stove. Which brings me to my final observations about this year's Noche del Vino. Any other day or night of the year, tables of expats occupy at least 50% of every bar and restaurant in the village. On the night of its largest and arguably most important festival, the expats were nowhere to be found. With an expat population that is pushing 900, I could count on my fingers and one foot the number who were out for Noche del Vino. And why? I have been asking around, and the most common response has been, "Well, once you've seen Noche del Vino, it's pretty much the same every year." Uh, what?!?! I couldn't believe I was hearing this line over and over again. Someone in the Usual Suspects crowd must have offered this as a reason for not attending, and now almost all the expats are using it. And what a silly line it is. It's like saying "Well, once you've done Christmas or your birthday or Halloween, it's pretty much the same every year, so why bother." Okay, I can sort of understand those who don't want to stand out in the 100 degree F heat for the pisa because yes, it is a little touristy and pretty much the same production one year to the next. But to pass up an amazing night of music, one that would easily cost 35 or 40 euros elsewhere, in favor of another night in watching BBC reruns on satellite TV---this I cannot comprehend. Why not book the table you sit at with your friends 364 nights a year but this time have incredible music in the background?!! As my mother would say, it boggles the mind. I suppose I am finally accepting the fact that there are many different types of expats who have settled in and around the village. There are those like Big Jim and myself and most of our friends who have a genuine interest in the local culture. Our knowledge is still very limited, but we want to learn more and actively seek out ways to do so. And then there are those who live as on an extended holiday or have retired here as someone from Pennsylvania would in Florida or Arizona. They have come simply for the good weather and have little curiosity about how their Spanish neighbors live or think. I do not intend to criticize their choices, but I confess to not thoroughly understand them. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to crack a joke in Spanish and make the neighbors laugh. And to be able to clap along with the music and discuss local politics at the cafe. I suppose I feel as though some expats are missing golden opportunities that would enrich their experience manyfold. Everything at the Noche del Vino was free---all anyone had to do was show up. And yet, so many chose to stay home. I hope that next year more expats rethink their reasons for not participating and come out and enjoy the fun. hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home