Wednesday, December 01, 2004

less blah

....although I am disappointed there is a rain this morning that only could be described as driving. I am not disappointed by the rain per se. The village is quite cosy in the rain, as long as you are indoors, which I plan to be. That said, living with an English person, one's attitude about rain shifts slightly. It is not that it rains a lot in England, it's just that the rest of us are not properly prepared with adequate raingear. Although I might have read that in guide book for Ireland....but also a rainy place. Anyway, Big Jim has this lovely rain coat and pants that are a bit big on me, which I can just throw on over my pjs to walk the dogs. And because wearing slippers in public is a fashion norm in the village, rather than a faux pas, I do not have to change out of my bedclothes until lunch time if I choose. The reason I wish it wasn't rainy is a bit devilish on my part. Today is, theoretically, the first day of the new pedestrianization of our "main" streets, Calle San Antonio and very appropriately named Calle Rampa, and the main plaza. (Quotes because c/ S.A. is just wide enough in spots for our Peugeot to squeeze through.) A small announcement was made a few weeks ago in the village newsletter, and retractable posts at key locations were installed secretly under the cover of night. I was looking forward to watching the ensuing chaos this morning as delivery trucks and parents dropping off their children at the colegio found their normal paths in and out of the village blocked. I'm sure the four taxi drivers, who, between jobs, parked their cabs in the square as they had a brandy and played a few rounds of cards in the bar with members of the village Mafia, have found the change to be quite an upheaval as well. (Crap, power just went off....will work on battery for I hope not too long...) So far, I've heard no car horns or people yelling, but that could be just because most have stayed in today. I reckon post-rain, the mayor will get so many complaints that the roads will be reopened in two months. Or vigilantes will remove the posts. Personally, I think the pedestrianization is a good idea, even though it means we are going to have to lug our groceries a greater distance and up a very steep hill. And I'm not sure how the village council intends to keep mopeds and motorcycles off the streets because the kids will most likely see the posts as exciting new driving challenges, great fun for weaving in and out of when leaving the disco at 5am Sunday morning....we shall see. Okay, power is back on, so I best get to work. Big Jim did a huge mass mailing of CVs yesterday and so far has received a pretty good response. He had more phone calls Tuesday than during the entire past month. Last week's numbers were jobs applied, 124; phone calls, 0; interviews, 0....hence my dour mood earlier. (Bugger, power off again....it's going to be one of those days.) M.A. is making us dinner tonight. Very much looking forward to her cooking and her company. :-) hasta manana, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home