Sunday, July 04, 2004

happy 4th/almejas al ajillo

It's difficult for me to believe, but I have spent the past five 4ths outside of the US. The first year Big Jim and I were in Paris on vacation. We will never forget that day because France won the Euro Cup in football (soccer). Big Jim and I were dining in a little restaurant in Montmartre when the owner came running from the kitchen screaming "France has won! France has won!" (except in French). He then proceeded to pure a glass of some homemade spirit, from a plastic water bottle, for everyone in the restaurant. One diner at the next table, somehow oblivious to what was going on, thought his water glass had just been filled, took a big swig, and spit it out in a lovely sort of fountain spray. As Big Jim and I walked back to our hotel, we had to push our way through the crowds that had packed the streets. People had surrounded a firetruck, from which firefighters were passing out bottles of champagne. The parties lasted until dawn. The next year, Big Jim and I were in Ireland for my good friend J.R.'s wedding. That, too, was a great party. The Irish at the wedding were quite pleased that the American tradition of an open bar was in effect, and the Guinness and Jameson's flowed freely. Big Jim and I were in bed by 1, just after he finished his best Michael Flatley immitation on the dance floor, but we're told the party didn't wind down until 6 am. This is my third 4th in Spain. Big Jim and I are going to have a quiet day. I'll remind him probably more than once of our country's victory over his; he'll remind me we couldn't have done it without the French, and so on. We're going to the beach in a few hours, to relax and swim the afternoon away. Then we'll return for a picnicky type dinner. We splurged a little bit for a bag of cockles (they are like really small clams), which I just love steamed in garlic, chili, and white wine. Here's how to make them: 1/4 cup olive oil 1 bay leaf a couple dried red chilis, thinly chopped 1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry 5 cloves garlic 2-3 pounds of clams, scrubbed 1/4 lemon juice Heat oil in heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic, bay leaf, and chilis; saute 6-8 minutes. Next, add the clams and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Then, add wine and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium-high, cover, and simmer until the clams open (throw out any that do not open) for another 8 minutes. Transfer clams to shallow bowl. Boil sauce until it thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Salt and pepper and finally pour sauce over clams. Have lots of fresh bread to dip in the sauce...it is just so yummy. It's also great with shrimp or mussels. I also plan to chat with my parents this evening. I do miss my family, particularly on holidays. When I was a child, we would always have a bar-b-que: hamburgers, hotdogs, my mother's macaroni salad (which will always be my favorite), deviled eggs, red beet eggs, steamed corn-on-the-cob chips, pretzels---a PA Dutch summer feast. When we were very young, my sister and brother and I would chase each other around with my mother's old cap gun; the little bang satisfied our need for fireworks. As we got a little older, my father bought small rockets and fountains, which he would set off in the back of the garden. As we grew up along with our need for bigger and louder fireworks, we used to pack up the station wagon after dinner with our blankets to travel about 20 miles for a professional 30-minute display. If we behaved ourselves, we would get a bonus stop at Dairy Queen on the way home. It's funny how little snippets of your life stay with you. Big Jim and I always finish off our beach trips by stopping at a little kiosk along the promenade to pick up an ice cream to enjoy on our walk back to the car. It's not Dairy Queen, but it's pretty close. happy 4th, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home