Friday, July 02, 2004

tgif

TGIF everyone. It's been a long week here. I haven't talked much about my work so far, but I am now working as a freelance editor/aspiring writer. It's not a completely bad gig; I particularly like working from home. But the past few weeks have been particularly irritating. I mainly work for three clients: one is pretty much a dream; the other two, well, they're not so dreamy. The one woman is very passive-aggressive, and the other guy is just totally unorganized. I'm supposed to make up for all of their oversights and mistakes, while still doing a good job at my own work. But as Big Jim has been out of work since 9/11, I have to keep these clients until new ones come along because we need the money. My original plan when I came to Spain was to edit for a couple years while I worked on my writing. We never anticipated 9/11 or the IT fallout (Big Jim is an IT telecom project manager). So my writing has had to take a backseat while I continue to be the wage-earner. Big Jim has applied for more than 10,000 (yes, really) jobs in the past two years; from those, he has had four face-to-face interviews. The only offer was for work in Iraq, which for obvious safety reasons, he declined. It's been demoralizing for both of us at times...yet, we press on. So, I'm glad it's Friday, even though I'll have to work tomorrow. At least the bozo clients will be off on holiday and unable to harass me until Tuesday. Also, our very good friend M.A. is here for dinner. She's an amazing person and will be the subject of a future entry. She always cheers me up. Everyone, it's time to employ the "manana" principle. Put down the work, and go eat, drink, and be merry. Hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home