Monday, October 31, 2005

in the bathroom


Is this the precious Boo freshly showered after yet another "caca" incident, or is she having a final fitting of her ghost costume for Halloween? I awoke this morning early and happy because today I was off work AND Big Jim and I planned a trip to my favorite garden center on the coast. What could be better. After leisurely reading my e-mail over a nice cup of coffee while the rest of the house slept, I headed for the shower. Hot water, soap, soap, ding. Ding? Ding! Mierda! My wedding ring! I slammed off the taps while simultaneously stretching my foot in attempt to cover the drainhole. I felt around the bottom of the tub through the suds, but no sign of the ring. Grabbing my bathrobe and a towel, I went in search of the flashlight to assist later as I peered down the drain. Not a glint of gold to be seen. Mierda! I should have removed the ring when I took off my watch. I should have used that silly little plastic mesh drain cover (but it's such a pain to clean!). I should have known better; my post-earthquake weight loss had made my wedding just a tad too loose. I should have, I should have, I should have.... Now what to do? Do I wake Big Jim, he who is known to bark a terse response to any question more complicated than "How are you? Did you sleep well?" before he has had two cups of coffee and a good hour to contemplate the meaning of life? Yes, I had to risk it. But I took the easier road and sent in Mr. Beebs to wake up his master. ;-) While Big Jim assessed the situation in the bathroom, I went to get him that much-needed first cup of coffee. I returned to find him fiddling with a wire coat hanger and his pliers, fashioning a crude retrieval device. Still wearing his pajamas bottoms, he crouched in the tub, peering down the god-forsaken drain. I sat rather dejectedly on the toilet, my half-washed hair dripping on the seat. "I suppose we could make a trip to the jewelry store since we are going to the coast anyway," I heard myself say. But I really didn't want a new ring. I wanted MY ring back, MY ring that matches HIS ring, that WE had to wait so long to have in the first place. Big Jim now tapped the outside of the tiled bathtub. "I am going to have to take this out to get to the pipes." "Oh no," I thought, "that's going to involve sledgehammers and tile cutters and probably a plumber---all with no guarantee of finding the ring." "No, Big Jim," I found myself saying, "really, it's not worth the bother." He came to me and took my hand and with tears welling up in his eyes said, "No, this is your wedding ring. We need to get it back. We will do whatever it takes. {slight pause for suspense} Bloody good job I found it lying on the floor beside the tub!" {produce found ring to much delight of wife} His acting was brilliant. Especially without the prerequisite two cups of coffee. :-) But my time was still not done in the bathroom this morning. Not only did I have my own shower to finish, but later on the goat track, my precious Boo found another pile of fresh caca to play in. But before her bath, I made sure to store the ring in a safe place. AND use the stupid little plastic mesh drain cover. Just in case.... Happy Halloween, everyone! Hasta pronto, mylifeinspain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home